SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

Sender:
From:
Robert Withers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 1994 13:21:18 EDT
On Sun, 10 Apr 1994 11:47:42 CDT Jeremy Butler said:
>I should clarify:
>
>I don't mean to turn SCREEN-L solely into a Usenet newsgroup.  What I'm
>considering is a gateway between SCREEN-L and Usenet.  Most SCREEN-L
>subscribers would continue to receive SCREEN-L messages in the same way.
>The only difference is that the messages sent out to SCREEN-L subscribers
>would simultaneously be presented in a Usenet newsgroup.
>
>Thus, you would have the option of (1) receiving each SCREEN-L message
>via e-mail (as the system works right now) or (2) browsing through SCREEN-L
>messages (and optionally posting replies) on Usenet.

      Jeremy, if you don't mind clarifying your clarification, does the above
mean that the usenet conference would be a kind of "read-only" spinoff of
Screen-L, and that usenet readers could post to the usenet conference, but
these posts would not be forwarded to the Screen-L list via e-mail?
      This might not be so bad.  I think most responders here are concerned
about seeing the Screen-L listserv list fill up with the kind of, um, searching
for the right word -- inane blather, perhaps -- that usenet conferences can so
easily degenerate into.
       As I understand it, the usenet conference would become a kind of
"mirror" or advertisement for Screen-L.  Which might have its own impact on
the list.  I wonder what impact that would be.
       I gather your interest and motivation in proposing this is to reach out
and make the Screen-L list known to people with serious or professional
interests around the world who may not know of it.  I wonder if the periodic
posting of an announcement about Screen-L on the usenet groups might not have
this same effect.
      Actually, don't many more people have access to e-mail, and therefore to
listserv lists, than to usenet?
                                        Best regards,
                                                     Robert Withers