SCREEN-L Archives

November 1993

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1993 13:24:25 CST
Here's something to watch out for if your e-mail system allows you
to quote a message to which you're replying.

If you quote the header (i.e., the lines that say "To" and "From" and
the like) so that it appears in the body of the message and then you
send it to SCREEN-L it often does not make it through to the subscribers.

What happens is that the software that runs SCREEN-L (called LISTSERV)
sees that "To" and "From" stuff and interprets your message as an
error message.  Then it sends the message to me, the list "owner", instead
of sending it to the SCREEN-L subscribers.   The message I get has
the comment below on it.

The way to avoid this problem is to delete any "To" or "From" lines
from the body of a message when you are sending a reply to SCREEN-L
or any other LISTSERV-based deal.

Any questions?  Buzz me at [log in to unmask]

P.S.  I had three such messages bounced to me this week.

The  enclosed mail  file, found  in the  SCREEN-L reader  and shown  under the
spoolid 4515  in the console log,  has been identified as  a possible delivery
error notice for the following reason: "Sender:", "From:" or "Reply-To:" field
pointing to the list has been found in mail body.

          We live as we dream--alone.
                        --Joseph Conrad

| Jeremy G. Butler - - - - - - - - - - | Internet : [log in to unmask] |
| SCREEN-L Coordinator                 | BITNET   :        JBUTLER@UA1VM |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |