SCREEN-L Archives

May 1994

From:
Gene Stavis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 May 1994 11:31:00 PDT
Mary-
Forgive me if I sounded hostile. I'm really not a hostile person. However
after a year of reading student papers, I guess I haven't left the grading
mode yet. So I'll try to be a little more gentle in the future.
However, I did think that you were "blowing off" the film a bit too much and
the implication about Kazan's religion did seem off the mark, particularly
considering that it was not true.
I did not get the sense from your post that you were addressing the matter of
religion so much as you were questioning the validity of the film AT THE TIME
of its release. Even though we're just "talking" here, I think the record
ought to be correct at least.
Looking forward to future correspondence.
Gene Stavis - School of Visual Arts