SCREEN-L Archives

November 1993

From:
PATRICK J OCONNELL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1993 09:35:13 -0600
  Ron Large <[log in to unmask]>  writes:
> I am teaching a course on the vietnam war and one of the issues is how, if
> at all, Vietnam differed from other wars. I seem to recall a famous
> director, John Huston maybe, doing some documentaries on the effects of
> combat on WWII soldiers, what we today would call PTSD. The films were so
> troubling that they were classified and only declassified 10-15 years
> ago. Does anyone know of these or similar documentaries and if they are
> available on video? You can post to the list or send suggestions to me by
> e-mail at [log in to unmask]

  PBS had a documentary on two(?) years ago titled TWO (somethings) AND A
WAKEUP, which had a group of VietNam vets returning to S. Vietnam to visit
old sites and old enemies.  Some it was very touching, tho uneven overall.
  WGBH/Boston had a piece in distribution recently titled FRANK: A VIETNAM
VETERAN that was quite powerful.  It's the ultimate headshot; nothing but
Frank talking to the camera, with a few date titles and still pictures
added.  Very effective.
  An older piece (late 60's) is NO VIETNAMESE EVER CALLED ME NIGGER, which
centers mostly on an anti-war march in Harlem, but also includes three vets
talking.  Most of it is on racist influences in the military and at home,
but there are some references to their combat roles.

FYI/PJO
-
P.J. O'Connell                   814-865-3333 (O)
Penn State University            814-865-3145 (F)
205 Wagner Bldg.                 [log in to unmask]  (Inet)
University Park, PA  16802       76520,1360   (CIS)
*******             "Go fast; take chances."           ********