SCREEN-L Archives

July 1999, Week 4

From:
Lang Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 20:13:46 -0400
>constructed.  The part I remember is the bit on nature documentaries in
>which the footage of an animal is inverted to have it running the opposite
>direction in a "chase" with another animal filmed at an entirely different
>location. There was a discussion of sound effects (e.g. crumpling 35mm film

On a tangential note:  I've long heard that for one of Disney's nature docs
during the 50s they were having trouble filming lemmings flinging
themselves over a cliff (which they don't do too often or quite en masse,
otherwise there'd be no more lemmings).  As a result, the filmmakers
supposedly threw some off the cliff themselves to film.  Does anybody know
a source for this info or is it an anti-Disney urban legend?

LT
Lang Thompson
http://www.tcf.ua.edu/wlt4

Full Alert Film Review (formerly World Cinema Reivew)
http://wlt4.home.mindspring.com/fafr.htm