SCREEN-L Archives

April 1996, Week 5

Sender:
From:
Dennis Doros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 10:17:04 -0400
Dear Mike,

On references to PEEPING TOM, you can start with Michael Powell's second
autobiography, I believe called "Million Dollar Movie," which was published
in the States last year.

The book you refer to is "Powell, Pressburger and Others" by Ian Christie,
published by the BFI. Ian followed that up with another, fuller length study
of them called "Arrows of Desire" which came out in paperpack by Faber in the
last year or so.

There are many, many extreme responses to PEEPING TOM over the years in the
British film magazines and more realistic views of it in Sight and Sound
after Powell's death. Film Comment also did a special issue a year or two ago
on Powell and Pressburger that had a decent article on the film.

There is also the Criterion laserdisc version of PEEPING TOM which has a
second soundtrack which I'm told to fairly mixed opinions, the issues you're
discussing.

I hope that helps!

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video