SCREEN-L Archives

August 2018, Week 1

Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2018 10:24:21 -0400
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Dear colleagues,

I’m grateful for the opportunity here to announce my new book…

Title: "Terrence Malick’s Unseeing Cinema: Memory, Time and Audibility"
Author: James Batcho
Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan

Back Cover: This unique study opens up a new dimension of Terrence Malick’s cinema – its expressions of unseeing and hearing. ‘Unseeing’ is Malick’s means of transcending the moment to enter the life that unfolds; to treat cinema as a real experience for those who live its reality. In this way, Terrence Malick’s Unseeing Cinema moves beyond film theory to advance a work of original philosophy, bringing together two thinkers not normally associated with one another: Gilles Deleuze and Søren Kierkegaard. It investigates how Malick’s gatherings of time allow one to explore new philosophical questions about immanence and transcendence, ethics and faith, time and infinity, and the foldings of subjectivity that are central to both philosophers. Beyond cinema, it offers a way to think about our everyday repetitions and recollections and our ephemeral points of connection with those we love.

“Terrence Malick’s Unseeing Cinema offers neither a philosophical interpretation of Malick’s films nor an attempt to illustrate philosophical concepts with examples derived from those films but rather a thinking-through of Malick’s cinema as a form of philosophy. Carefully observed and clearly thought, the book examines key concepts developed in Malick’s cinema alongside and in dialogue with those of other philosophers: Deleuze and Kierkegaard, most persistently, but also Bergson, Bachelard, Heidegger, Spinoza, Nietzsche, Plato and Aristotle, to name a few. Extended and capsule readings of Malick’s and other films—masterworks by Coppola, Scott, Bresson, Tarkovsky, Wenders, among others—break new conceptual ground in our understandings of visibility, audibility, immanence, and temporality in cinema. By firmly locating Malick among these philosophers, Terrence Malick’s Unseeing Cinema helps us reconceive the complex interplay between image, sound, memory, and imagination in Malick’s cinema.

- Stuart Kendall, California College of the Arts (author of Georges Bataille and The Ends of Art and Design; co-editor of Terrence Malick: Film and Philosophy)

Individual chapters are also available in digital form:
Introduction
Unseeing
Logos of Cinema
Days of Heaven and Hell
Malick’s Temporal Shift
Listening to the Logos
Continuer

Free preview, orders, link to request review copy, etc available at:
https://www.palgrave.com/br/book/9783319764207 <https://www.palgrave.com/br/book/9783319764207>

Many thanks,
Jim