SCREEN-L Archives

August 1995, Week 3

Sender:
From:
"Leroy, Marc" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 1995 13:41:00 PDT
     Interesting to note:  Burgess, the author of the novel, wrote
twenty-one chapters, alluding to the age of responsibility.  That
twenty-first chapter was sheared from both the original American version of
the book, and Kubrick's film.  Even more interesting to note is that this
final chapter contained the moral of the story:  Alex outgrows his violent
tendencies.  He can't relate to the modern youth anymore, and starts having
thoughts of actually settling down and starting a family.  It makes a lot of
sense.  The government can't transform him into a good citizen,  it has to
come from within in time.
     Kubrick took the message in an entirely different direction by
excluding that final bit, but I can no more say that his version is void of
meaning, either.

>Another consideration is that A Clockwork Orange was originally a book; do
>you.also think that the book was also an excuse to write about violence
rather
>than
>a means of conveying a message about violence, crime and punishment?

Molly Olsen