SCREEN-L Archives

November 2007, Week 5

From:
Adam Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2007 01:39:44 -0800
Film Scholars,

I need to make connections between the late-1940s-1950s rise of the
consumerist class, the class of the producers/directors of the
musicals/epics/spectaculars of that era, and/or a class explanation
for what appears on screen in the 1950s. I am connecting 1950s class
to cinema production culture and/or screen events. Can you recommend a
book or person to talk to? Was all the musical and spectacular excess
of the period an accurate representation of buying power or
aspirations for future commodity excess?

Yours,

Adam Fish
UCLA: Anthropology, PhD student
Current TV, VC2 Producer