SCREEN-L Archives

November 1995, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Martin F Norden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 1995 17:10:27 -0400

> For background material in a project, I am in search of
> films (in all genres) that portray children with disabilities.
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> Sharon Snyder
> Northern Michigan University

Sharon--

I just skimmed through the index of my own book, _The Cinema of
Isolation: A History of Physical Disability in the Movies_ (shameless
plug, I know) and came up with the following list: Amy, The Anderson
Tapes, Benjy (the Zinnemann documentary), The Blind Foundling, The Blind
Boy, A Christmas Carol, a.k.a. Scrooge (seemingly limitless versions),
Deliverance (NOT the John Boorman film but a 1919 silent on the life
of Helen Keller), Fist in His Pocket, Gaby, Heidi, Lad: A Dog, The Little
Cripple, The Littlest Hobo, Looking for Mr. Goodbar, Mask, Massacre at
Central High, The Miracle Worker, My Left Foot, Pollyanna (several
versions), Stephen King's Silver Bullet, The Story of Esther Costello,
Touched by Love, and Young Tom Edison.  There was also a 1912 Edison
documentary called The Rescue, Care and Education of Blind Babies, and I
remember stumbling across a relatively lengthy article about it in _Moving
Picture World_, a trade journal of the time.  If I can find the cite, I'll
send it along to you.

I discussed all of the above in my book, which was published last year by
Rutgers U. Press.  Your library probably has a copy or can get one through
interlibrary loan.  This list is far from complete (for starters, I didn't
really deal with documentaries or with images of mental disabilities) but
there should be enough here to get you started :-)

--Marty Norden

  OO       Martin F. Norden
  [_]<|    Dept. of Communication                 [log in to unmask]
  /|\      University of Massachusetts/Amherst    fax: 413 545-6399
           Amherst, MA  01003     USA             tel: 413 545-0598, 545-1311