SCREEN-L Archives

March 1998, Week 1

Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 00:17:22 -0500
>On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Lisa R. Barry wrote:
>
>> Hello All!
>>
>> I am attempting to compile a list of gay/lesbian/bisexual television
>> characters from tv series.  It doesn't matter whether the series was a
>> sit-com, drama, or whatever.  I am simply wanting a list for a class I am
>> preparing to teach.  Of course I have Ellen and Soap (I think Billy
>> Crystal's character was gay--or at least implied to be so, no?), but I am
>> having difficulty coming up with others.  Any help or suggestions would be
>> most appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>> Lisa :-)

A couple of characters on Roseanne:  Martin Mull, Morgan Fairchild (as
Sandra's lover), Mariel Hemingway (guest starred), Rosie's mom also came
out on the show...

Xena: Warrior Princess -- although not confirmed bi-sexual or lesbian,
the show certainly has a huge lesbian and bi-sexual following due to a
perceived (and sometimes not so subtle) homoerotic subtext  -- which the
producers admit to playing up to in several interviews

Mad About You:  Paul's sister
Friends: Ross' ex-wife
Melrose Place: Matt (now gone)
Ru Paul has her own show