SCREEN-L Archives

October 1995, Week 4

Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 1995 09:13:37 EDT

> >My evening film class meets on Halloween night, and I want to show them a
> >four or five star quality horror film (almost, but not quite an
> >oxymoron).  I'm thinking of showing DON'T LOOK NOW, but I am open to
> >other titles for consideration.
> >
> >I would also appreciate any recommendations on supporting literature
> >either on the horror genre or on a specific film that's recommended.
> >Thanks for your help.
> >
> >Ron Hoffman

I teach a film history class at University of the Arts in
Philadelphia. I'd recommend (for whatever it's worth...)

Psycho
The Shining
Fearless Vampire Killers (Or, Pardon Me, Your Fangs are in my neck)
Nosferatu (the original silent)
Golem (the same)
Nightmare On Elm Street
Halloween (both this and Nightmare are stellar examples of current
horror)

Just IMHO.

Cheryl Gilbert