SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 1994 00:32:27 EDT
On Tue, 19 Jul 1994 13:22:00 -0500 Kurt R Gegenhuber said:

>Look, this is ridiculous. Does our analysis of what's going on have to
>come to a grinding halt if we see that somebody is being entertained or is
>receiving pleasure? That ought to be the starting point.

   Yes, but this is a classic case of getting so wrapped up in analysis
that we lose all sense of perspective.

>To say that entertainment ought to be exempt from analysis, or necessarily
>excludes politics, is to utterly miss what entertainment is. Isn't that a
>bit of a problem if you're studying TV and film?

   Yes, and agreed.  I just have warning flags fly up every time someone
*starts* by saying that the movie is a representation of this, a symbol of
that, a misportrayal of this group, etc.

   It ceases being constructive, it attempts to make people feel guilty
about enjoying it, and just becomes an incessantly annoying whine about the
evils of media and how it's corrupting us all.

   To paraphrase the immortal Monty Python and the Holy Grail, "Help! Help!
I'm being corrupted!  Did you see him corrupting me?  Did you see that?"

>Kurt Gegenhuber

J Metz
Department of Telecommunications
University of Georgia