SCREEN-L Archives

November 1995, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Randy Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 1995 07:55:46 -0500
  I bought the "Corel All-Movie Guide" on CD-ROM for about $54.95  It claims
to have 90,000+ movies from 48 nations since the turn of the century.
  Frankly, I'm disappointed with it.  It ought to be half that price.
 Running off my 2X CD drive on my 486 Compaq, it takes forever to boot up and
search.  It's often good about listing credits and listing who won what
Oscars for what years.  A lot of the synopses are lame.  And it recommends
similar movies.  But if you compare how these movies cross reference each
other, you see a major number of incongruities.  If I had it to do over
again, I'd pass this one up.  But that's just my personal opinion.  I'm sure
some people would find this same item invaluable.

  Randy Carlson
  Georgia State University/Film & Screenwriting