SCREEN-L Archives

March 1998, Week 2

From:
Rachel Orlove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 00:41:08 -0600
norm

i'm doing a review of GOOD WILL HUNTING, focusing on the vicissitudes of
youthful genius. Overviewing myths about intellectual and artistic prodigies,
I want to say something about the recurrent theme of genius discovered in
childhood or adolescence in mean/humble circumstances. As a prime example, I
seem to recall that a Renaissance painter -- at least one -- was discovered as
a child by his future teacher drawing amazing pictures in the dust of his
peasant farmyard. I believe this was Caravaggio. Can anyone confirm or deny
this or otherwise trace the source of the tale to its reality, if such there
be?

Many thanks

Harvey Roy Greenbeg, MD

For sure it was  Giotto or Cimbaue