SCREEN-L Archives

October 1997, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 16:31:08 -0500
Chella Courington requests:

> I am teaching a junior/senior film course in the spring on Issues of
Race,
> Class, Gender, and Sexual Orientation in Contemporary International Film. I
> plan to show 6-8 films. So far, I have decided to show: _Once Were
> Warriors_, _Duaghters of the Dust_, and _The Wedding Banquet_. Any ideas
> for other films? I would very much appreciate your suggestions and advice.
> Thanks, Chella Courington.

Some suggestions:
FAREWELL, MY CONCUBINE; Oshima's CRUEL STORY OF YOUTH; Imamura's INSECT
WOMAN; Sembene's BLACK GIRL, Djibril Diop Mambety's HYENAS (an
adaptation of Durenmatt's THE VISIT), Cheick Omar Sissoko's FINZAN,
Gaston Kabore's ZAN BOKO, and--especially--Jean-Pierre Bekolo's
QUARTIER MOZART.  (Most of these are in California Newsreel's Library
of African Cinema.)  From a colonialist perspective, you might look at
Claire Denis' CHOCOLAT.

Depending on how you define "contemporary," some others that come to
mind might include Bergman's PERSONA and THE SILENCE; a number of
Fassbinder's films, such as ALI, FEAR EATS THE SOUL; Lina Wertmuller's
earlier films, especially SWEPT AWAY . . . ; much of Godard's work, in
one way or another; later Bunuel; Lindsay Anderson's IF . . . ; SECRETS
AND LIES; TRAINSPOTTING; and Sally Potter's ORLANDO.  There are also
various recent independent America films, such as Sayles' LONE STAR and
Kevin Smith's CHASING AMY; among many others.

Have fun!

Don Larsson