SCREEN-L Archives

February 1996, Week 1

From:
Gene Stavis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 10:48:29 -0800
----------------------------- Begin Original Text
-----------------------------

To my way off
thinking, this situation gives _Singin"_ a self-referential dimension (a
rather
arch one at that) that should have attracted deconstructionist readers.

Astonished as I am that deconstructionist readers can have a good time at a
movie, I am heartened by the fact that the dubbing situation troubles them
so. Is there any better proof that deconstructionists are so far removed from
the real history of motion pictures? Dubbing seems to come as a shock to
them. Can there be any doubt that it is the deconstructionists' personal view
of a movie which is far more important the the movie itself?

I realize that that this may be a truism, but what a sad and limiting one it
is.

Gene Stavis, School of Visual Arts - NYC