SCREEN-L Archives

October 1996, Week 4

Sender:
From:
Michael Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 09:36:00 MDT
>Forwarded by Jeremy Butler, for more information contact Steve Montal:
>
>______________________________ Forward Header
>__________________________________
>
>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>
>CHAPMAN UNIVERSITY TO HOST INDUSTRY CONFERENCE ON INDEPENDENT FEATURE
>FILMMAKING
>

>Chapman University will hold a major conference on the financing,
>production and distribution of independent feature films on Sunday,
>November 24, 1996.
>
>The award-winning School of Film and Television of Chapman University,
>located only 30 miles South of Los Angeles, will host the Chapman
>Independent Feature Filmmaking Conference focusing on contemporary issues
>in the field of independent feature filmmaking.
>
>The conference, which is expected to sell out, will feature prominent
>members of the independent community participating in panels that will
>examine the current state of financing, production and distribution of
>indepedent feature films.
>
>The nominal advance registration conference fee of $20 covers all
>conference events including a luncheon, the Indie Dinner, the Conference
>Screening as well as admissions to panel discussions on financing,
>production and distribution of independent features. Panel moderators will
>include industry veteran Jason Squire, editor of The Movie Business Book.
>
>The panels will be followed by an informal social hour leading to the
>evening events -- which will feature the Indie Dinner. The Keynote Speaker
>of the Indie Dinner will be Professor Howard Suber, Co-Chair of the UCLA
>Independent Producers Program.
>
>Following the Indie Dinner, there will be a Special Advance Screening of HYPE!,
>the award-winning feature on the Seattle music scene featuring the
>performances of Nirvana and Pearl Jam. HYPE!, screened at Sundance in
>January, was directed by Doug Pray and produced by Steven Helvey.  The
>picture will be released theatrically by Cinepix/CFP in Los Angeles and New
>York only weeks after screening in the Chapman Conference.
>
>The fees of the conference are $20 before November 15th; and $50 after
>November 15th and at the door. Conference fees include participation in all
>conference events as well as the Script Thingr Luncheon, the Indie Dinner
>and the screening of HYPE!
>
>According to Conference Organizer Steve Montal, "We have limited the
>conference fees to a bare minimum in order to encourage widespread
>participation in this event."
>
>Steven Helvey, Independent Producer and President of Helvey/Pray
>Productions described the conference as, "a terrific way to reflect on the
>future of the industry with colleagues."
>
>The Conference is organized by the Chapman Producers Program, which is part
>of the award-winning and internationally recognized School of Film and
>Television of Chapman University.
>
>SPACE IN THE CONFERENCE IS LIMITED. For more information on the Chapman
> [...]

Dear Steve,

May we obtain a 'transcript' of this indie conference?
We would like to include something about it in an upcoming issue of IndieZine.

Thanks!

Michael Carr
Publisher/Editor

INDIEZINE: The Internet's *premiere* e-zine dedicated to the spirit and
advancement of independent film/video making and screenwriting!

Please visit IndieZine's web site at:   http://telluridemm.com/indizine.html
to preview a FREE issue!

mc