SCREEN-L Archives

December 1993

Sender:
From:
Megan Mullen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1993 14:02:53 -0600
Why "no comment," Doug?  The NYT article you refer to certainly does
*not* speak for itself; in fact it strikes me as being shamefully
manipulative.  In *today's* NYT I read about Michael Moore's new film,
*Canadian Bacon* -- a futuristic political satire in which Canada is
the United States' new post-cold war antagonist.  Moore apparently is
incorporating fictional red scare-reminiscent propaganda that sounds
eerily like yesterday's NYT "news" to *spoof* the ways in which wartime
paranoia is generated.  Canada, like any other country, has its
bureaucratic hypocrisies.  This particular anecdote seems to me to have
a parallel in the fact that Americans wishing to read *Cine Cubano* film
journal must receive it *via Canada*.  That's *my* commentary.