SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

Sender:
From:
Gary Fuchs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 1994 16:08:14 -0500
Any discussion of a film's pacing brings to mind a wonderful Fritz Lang quote:
"Every film has a mood, a rhythm." How editorial and scoring considerations
are employed in conjunction with one another goes a long way toward
establishing a film's rhythm. Peckinpah's WILD BUNCH offers an instuctive
example of masterful use of both to produce beautiful filmic rhythm. Of course,
many others abound. The key point is that much more is involved in "pacing"
than mere staccato structure, MTV-editing. How the film is cut is one prime
ingredient that goes into establishing pace. Advantage can be gained by
calling upon the terminology of music when analyzing film pacing.

Gary Weston Fuchs