SCREEN-L Archives

September 1996, Week 3

Sender:
From:
David Tetzlaff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 14:41:18 -0700
I'd like to pluck the collective SCREEN-L brain, to help me compile a list
of possible materials for a course I'm probably going to teach this spring.

I want to do an introductory level media analysis class that will rely
primarily on literature and film souces, rather than academic essays, to
introduce ideas about media/culture/society for discusssion. For example,
read 1984 and Brave New World - screen Videodrome, Network etc. I don't
want all the sources to be dystopian or even critical (in the put-down
sense). I do want them to relate to media issues in some thoughtful way,
rather than just have media as a setting. The media in question could be
TV, film, radio, any form of news, pop music (as media rather than just
performance)... The issues raised could relate to reception, use, politicla
economy, sociology of production...

So, can you help me think of films, novels, short stories, plays..
whatever, that might fit this class? I'd appreciate any 'input.'

It's probably best to e-mail any responses to me directly, and I'll post a
completed list of suggestions to the group later.

Thanks.

dave tetzlaff