SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

From:
Stuart Lerner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 1994 23:40:23 -0700
On Wed, 28 Sep 1994, Gabeba BaderoonGabeba Baderoon wrote:

> I'm trying to draw up bibliographies for a course on postmodernist
> television, using semiotics, genre and cultural studies.  The texts
> in question are The Simpsons, Twin Peaks and Moonlighting.  Does
> anyone have any ideas?

There are extensive episode guides and quotes, etc. on the Simpsons
available on the 'Net.

Twin Peaks is covered in a magazine, Wrapped in Plastic (referring to
Laura's body being found in the first show).  BTW, I was lucky enough to
see Twin Peaks before it aired on TV, in a packed theater at the Palm
Springs Film Festival, definitely an experience.

Moonlighting, let's see.  There was an interesting article in the New
York Times, when the show was out.  An interesting aspect I recall was
that Moonlighting scripts were twice as long as other hour-long scripts,
because of all the fast-paced dialogue (often overlapping).  I would
compare it to the fast talking screwball comedies like Bringing Up Baby
and the Philadelphia Story, etc. (ref. Mast, thanks to D. Desser).

Comments???? I can it (esp. if you agree).  Feel free to e-mail.

Take it easy, but take it.

Sincerely,
Stu L.

email: [log in to unmask]