SCREEN-L Archives

February 1998, Week 4

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 08:38:40 -0600
On Thu, 26 Feb 1998 16:42:11 GMT Leo Enticknap
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> There are plenty of civil ways to reject a manuscript, and we are giving
>> up civility, I fear.
>
>I know of someone who did pretty well on this.  He was asked to advise on
a book
> proposal by a
>major academic publisher and concluded that it was "fucking abysmal".  These
> sentiments were
>set out (including the quoted phrase) in an e-mail to the commissioning
editor.
> Unfortunately, the
>address he typed in was that of the proposal's author...

Even worse:

Back before Screen-L was moderated, a manuscript reviewer accidently sent a
review TO THE ENTIRE LIST.

Somewhat fortunately, he sent it as a file attachment to the message which
made it illegible to some subscribers, but, still, several hundred Screen-L
subscribers were able to read this "confidential" review.  Also
fortunately, it was a rather mild review.  No profanity.

A cautionary tale for us all:  Check those e-mail addresses before hitting
the SEND key!

P.S.  This sort of accident would probably not occur again--now that
Screen-L is moderated.  Hopefully, our moderator would catch something like
this before it was distributed.

----
Jeremy Butler
ScreenSite http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite
Telecommunication & Film/University of Alabama/Tuscaloosa

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite