SCREEN-L Archives

October 2001, Week 2

From:
Tamao Nakahara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 21:52:35 -0500
CALL FOR PAPERS

"Born to Be Bad: Trash Cinema from the 1960s and 70s"
May 17 -19, 2002
University of California, Berkeley

Proposals due Friday, January 4, 2002

Keynote speaker:  Eric Schaefer
Emerson College, Boston
Author of "Bold! Daring! Shocking! True!": A History of Exploitation Film,
1919-1959 (Duke University Press, 1999)

Whether they are low-budget films that have found a life as auctioned and
traded bootlegs, high-profile successes that have fallen into second-run
obscurity, or something in between, Trash films have left their mark on a
different type of film history and writing.  However these films have come
to be defined (“trash,” “cult,” “exploitation,” etc.), there is no doubt
that they have had an effect on us and have led us down some unusual
paths.  This three-day international conference honors Trash films and the
activities surrounding them. We invite papers from a broad range of topics
on Trash films including horror, spaghetti westerns, science fiction,
sexploitation, blaxploitation, comixploitation, erotic thrillers,
ultraviolence, prison films, sex comedies and the like.  We also encourage
papers that discuss the role of spectatorship in the contexts of the drive-
in, second-run theaters, video stores, cable tv, ebay, trading websites,
and fanzines to name but a few.

Selected films will be shown publicly on the evenings of May 17, 18, and 19
at the Pacific Film Archive, and the conference will be held on Saturday,
May 18, with a tentative addition of talks on the 19th.

We invite proposals for papers of 15 - 20 minutes including the time for
film clips.  Please send a 300-word abstract, with the paper title, your
name, address and affiliation, email address, and a 1-2 page cv.  Please
indicate whether you will show film clips and the format (VHS or DVD, NTSC
or PAL).  We also welcome film suggestions for the evening screenings.
Email submissions are preferred.

Contact Information:
Tamao Nakahara
Department of Italian Studies
6303 Dwinelle, #2620
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-2620
phone: 510-527-6915
email: [log in to unmask]
http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~tamao/Trash.htm

Paper proposals due: January 4, 2002
Notification of accepted papers: January 25, 2002
Paper drafts due:  April 19, 2002