SCREEN-L Archives

May 1994

Sender:
From:
"John G. Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 1994 11:48:09 -0700
On Mon, 23 May 1994, ibhdnw8 wrote:

> Does anyone out there know where I can get the following sorts of figures?
>
> 1.  Media ownership--Who owns whom? Which media organizations own which, and
>
> 2.  The most popular books and magazines--by week, by year?

        I have three possible sources.  First try a database of the
Hollywood "trades" to get the most up to date info.  I think Daily
Variety has a CD-rom of their back-issues.  You might also try contacting
AMPTP in Sherman Oaks, Calif. (an industry trade group.)  Also, an online
entertainment database called, "Baseline."  They're on Wilshire Blvd, in LA.

        Sure, there are the obvious biggies (the major studios, etc.),
but so much of current media is cris-crossed and connected in a
complicated maze.  Many of the "smaller" companies do most of the work.
The independents, for instance, make many more feature films and TV
program a year than all of the so-called "majors" put together.

-------->from John G. Thomas([log in to unmask])in Hollywierd,Calif.<---------