SCREEN-L Archives

August 2006, Week 1

From:
Prof Steven P Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 02:32:18 -0500
Dear colleagues & Prof Thompson:

"Male Animal" (Warners 1942, with Henry Fonda) is an excellent comedy-drama
about a fictional college professor of English literature (not yet tenured), who
along with his English Dept.  colleagues gets involved in a political controversy.
Extremely interesting is the professor's attempt to use RHETORIC itself in that
controversy.

"Confessions of a Nazi Spy" (Warners 1939, with Edward G Robinson) is a striking
early semi-documentary about  Nazi propagandists' attempts to promote Hitler's
ideology in the USA, and US counter-spies'  attempts to infiltrate the
propagandists' German-American organizations and to put a stop to their Nazi
propaganda.  Much political rhetoric, i.e., "propaganda," is presented and
dissected in the film, recreated by professional actors as if they were real people.

"Citizen Kane" (RKO 1941, by & with Orson Welles) hardly needs commentary.
The life of a fictional publisher (inspired by a real publisher) who became a master
and abuser of rhetoric (information and dis-information) in his own journalistic
efforts.

"Deadline USA" (MGM '52, with Humphrey Bogart) is the story of an old New
York daily newspaper attempting to mainstain high journalistic standards in
increasingly difficult competition with more commercially-oriented, less
idealistic newspapers.

P.S.  Does anyone know why some postings on list-servers, like this one,
mess up the text by sticking in "20" and/or " -- " at the end of many lines?
Are those "insertions" really necessary?

Best wishes to all,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.