SCREEN-L Archives

January 1999, Week 5

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:11:28 -0600
Matt McAllister comments:

> Actually, I feel that the original Star Trek was more culturally diverse
> than The Next Generation.   . . .
> Perhaps in TNG, what substituded for race was the guest star aliens.  The
> alien races that they encountered were defacto the racial other.  And, more
> often than not, they were treated in a "stereotyped" way (ALL Ferengi act
> like this; ALL Borg act like this), unless they were assimilated in Anglo
> Saxon culture during the course of an episode (like Hugh the Borg).

Good points: DEEP SPACE 9 goes somewhat further than either show.  Not
only is the captain black but his multicultural background enters into
the storylines from time to time, as do the backgrounds of some of the
other characters.  There is also more "diversity" among
aliens--Cardassians are generally not nice but there are better ones
out there; Quark and his family turn out to be rather atypcial
Ferengis, etc.

Don Larsson

Donald Larsson
Minnesota State U, Mankato