SCREEN-L Archives

April 2021, Week 2

From:
Carol Vernallis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2021 15:09:51 -0700
Carol Vernallis, Holly Rogers and Lisa Perrott are happy to announce the
third book in our Bloomsbury series, *New Approaches to Sound, Music and
Media
<https://www.bloomsbury.com/us/series/new-approaches-to-sound-music-and-media/>*
. (
https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/series/new-approaches-to-sound-music-and-media/
)

In* Resonant Matter
<https://www.amazon.com/Resonant-Matter-Promise-Hospitality-Approaches/dp/150134367X>,
*Lutz Koepnick considers contemporary sound and installation art as a
unique laboratory of hospitality amid inhospitable times. Inspired by
Ragnar Kjartansson's nine-channel video installation *The Visitors *(2012),
the book explores resonance-the ability of objects to be affected by the
vibrations of other objects-as a model of art's fleeting promise to make us
coexist with things strange and other. In a series of nuanced readings,
Koepnick follows the echoes of distant, unexpected, and unheard sounds in
twenty-first century art to reflect on the attachments we pursue to sustain
our lives and the walls we need to tear down to secure possible futures.
The book's nine chapters approach *The Visitors *from ever-different
conceptual angles while bringing it into dialogue with the work of other
artists and musicians such as Lawrence Abu Hamdan, Guillermo Galindo,
Mischa Kuball, Philipp Lachenmann, Alvien Lucier, Teresa Margolles, Carsten
Nicolai, Camille Norment, Susan Philipsz, David Rothenberg, Juliana
Snapper, and Tanya Tagaq. With this book, Koepnick situates resonance as a
vital concept of contemporary art criticism and sound studies. His analysis
encourages us not only to expand our understanding of the role of sound in
art, of sound art, but to attune our critical encounter with art to art's
own resonant thinking.

+++

We’d like to share that Bloomsbury is offering 10-20% off book titles.
Please feel free to send Holly, Lisa, or me proposals for manuscripts and
collected volumes. Below are descriptions of the first two books in our
series. We hope you’ll check them out.

*Transmedia Directors: Artistry, Industry and New Audiovisual Aesthetics*
<https://www.amazon.com/Transmedia-Directors-Music-Sound-Approaches/dp/1501339273/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Transmedia+Directors%3A+Artistry%2C+Industry+and+New+Audiovisual+Aesthetics&qid=1618265106&s=books&sr=1-1>,
edited by Carol, Holly and Lisa, focuses on artist-practitioners who work
across media, platforms and disciplines, including film, television, music
video, commercials and the internet. Working in the age of media
convergence, today's impresarios project a distinctive style that points
toward a new contemporary aesthetics. The media they engage with enrich
their practices – through film and television (with its potential for
world-building and sense of the past and future), music video (with its
audiovisual aesthetics and rhythm), commercials (with their ability to
project a message quickly) and the internet (with its refreshed concepts of
audience and participation), to larger forms like restaurants and amusement
parks (with their materiality alongside today's digital aesthetics). These
directors encourage us to reassess concepts of authorship, assemblage,
transmedia, audiovisual aesthetics and world-building.

Transmedia Directors weaves together insights about artist-practitioners'
collaborative processes as well as strategies for composition,
representation, subversion and resistance. Directors and practitioners
discussed include Wes Anderson, Michael Bay, Sofia Coppola, David Fincher,
Barry Jenkins, Bong Joon-ho, David Lynch and Lars von Trier; musicians and
music-video/film directors David Bowie, Jess Cope, Dave Meyers, Emil Nava,
Sigur Rós, and Floria Sigismondi; and Instagram impresario Jay Versace.

In *Dangerous Mediations: Pop Music in a Philippine Prison Video*
<https://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Mediations-Philippine-Prison-Approaches/dp/1501331531>,
Áine Mangaoang explores the 2007 event when an unlikely troupe of 1500
Filipino prisoners became Internet celebrities for their YouTube video of
Michael Jackson's ground-breaking hit 'Thriller.' Taking this spectacular
dance as a point of departure, Dangerous Mediations explores the
disquieting development of prisoners performing punishment to a global,
online audience. Combining analysis of this YouTube video with first-hand
experiences from fieldwork in the Philippine prison, Áine Mangaoang
investigates a wide range of interlocking contexts surrounding this
user-generated text to reveal how places of punishment can be transformed
into spaces of spectacular entertainment, leisure, and penal tourism.

----
Screen-L is sponsored by the College of Communication and Information Sciences,
the University of Alabama: https://cis.ua.edu