SCREEN-L Archives

February 2007, Week 2

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:35:45 -0800
8bit
From:
Margot Bouman <[log in to unmask]>
Hi all:

  In an essay published in the 2002 Documenta catalogue, Michael Nash pointed out that, “much writing on video and film in the gallery can too easily gloss ‘sitting in a cinema’ with ‘passivity,’ or ‘mobility’ with ‘freedom’….” As Nash goes on to elaborate, going to the movies in Puerto Rico, Lagos or Mumbai is to encounter a very different, active, call-and-response approach to spectatorship.

  Can someone point me to writings on spectatorship practices in Puerto Rico, Lagos, Mumbai or elsewhere?  A description of the practices of Italian viewing audiences by Umberto Eco is widely circulated, but I have yet to find articles that focus on the groups that Nash listed.

  Thanks,
  Margot

Finding fabulous fares is fun.