SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 1

Sender:
From:
"Tonelli, Melissa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 1995 08:04:53 CST

Prof. Liz Weis has posted previously here about Brooklyn College, and I'm
forever offering info about Hunter College.  There's also City College and
The College of Staten Island.  One application lets you apply to up to six
programs, and the tuition is still relatively reasonable (some of us
remember when it was  free).

While I'm here, I'd like to announce The 1995 Hunter College Student  Film
Festival, May 11 - 13.  Anyone interested in seeing what the students are up
to should definitely check it out (it's *still* free).  Last year we
screened close to 40 student films-- about half of them works-in-progress
shown on a Siemen's double-system projector-- had guest speakers from groups
like AIVF and the Indepedent Feature Project, and held a retrospective of
the work, both student and professional, of late Hunter Alumnus Bill
Sherwood (dir. "Parting Glances," 1985).  This year, the Film Society is
asking some guest filmmakers to come.  I believe documentary filmmaker Alan
Berliner will screen some of his work (he's taught film classes in Hunter's
Art Department) and the students are trying to coax Ed Burns, a recent
Hunter grad who reaped an award at this year's Sundance Fest) to come give
an inspirational talk.

All this in the midst of very *severe* cut-backs to the CUNY system.  NYC
public film-school students are a tough breed and both the Film Fest and the
films shown there are an amazing example of what can be produced on limited
funds.

If you'd like to be kept posted about the details, please e-mail me with
your snail-mail address and I'll forward it to the computer-less Film
Society.  They'll be sending a mailing out soon.

Melissa Tonelli
I'm looking at Film Schools. Knowing next to nothing, my understanding is
that USC, UCLA & NYU are the "best" (arbitrary term I know) with Columbia
up there somewhere. Now I know that's like saying only Ivy schools are good
or something lame like that, but what other schools out there are exciting,
high quality, "up and coming", etc.

Again _all_ comments are appreciated.