SCREEN-L Archives

November 1996, Week 3

From:
lang thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 1996 02:52:45 GMT
***** During the past decade or so, there's been a phenomenal amount of
material published on exploitation films.  The catch is that most of it
has been in publications that are not only non-academic but are almost
non-commercial so you're not going to find them in many libraries.
Good magazines that you can easily locate (try hip record as well as
book stores, Tower is a particularly good source if you're near one)
are Psychotronic Video, Filmfax, Video Watchdog, and Cult Movies.  They
all have numerous ads for other magazines, video sources, book reviews,
etc.

As for books, try these (all except the Castle are in-print):

both volumes of Michael Weldon's Psychotronic Film Ency (absolutely
essential)

Dave Friedman's autobio (i forget the title but it's published by
Prometheus)

William Castle's Step Right Up

Eddie Muller & Daniel Faris' Grindhouse: The Forbidden World of "Adults
Only" Cinema

Marshall Crenshaw's Hollywood Rock

Rudolph Grey's bio of Ed Wood, Nightmare of Ecstasy

Re/Search:  Incredibly Strange Films

McFarland Publishers has numerous books related to exploitation films
(such as studio histories of Monogram and AIP, interview collections
with B-movie stars, genre filmographies, etc) but they're priced for
libraries not individuals

and Variety actually reviewed a surprising number of these films:  i
ran across a review recently for a Thirties VD scare film that had a
script by Sinclair Lewis!

Best, Lang Thompson
http://members.aol.com/wlt4/index.htm