SCREEN-L Archives

April 1998, Week 1

From:
Jim Marsden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 16:29:29 -0500
Jayna Neagle wrote:

> A Separate Peace (or is it Piece, I can't remember now) is an excellent
> short story for this age group and was adapted into a movie I believe
> starring Parker Stevenson.

I remember liking this short novel when I was a teen, but one should consider
this Maltin review of the film (from Cinemania97):

A Separate Peace
US (1972): Drama
Leonard Maltin Review: 1.0 stars out of 4

104 min, Rated PG, Color, Available on videocassette

Supposedly sensitive story of two roommates in a 1940s prep school, taken from
John Knowles' overrated novel, is enough to make anyone gag. Story is morbid,
acting incredibly amateurish, and direction has no feeling at all for the
period. A total bummer.

(And Pauline Kael's view, also from the Cinemania CD-ROM, is about as
negative.)

Jim Marsden
Bryant College

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite