SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

Sender:
From:
Mary Jane Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 1994 11:51:30 -0500
I don't think Canadians would call it paranoia. In theatre [ with the
rights to plays at issue] and in movies and on television we have
beenconsidered part of a unified market for years by Jack Valenti and the
boys. We have no control over the distribution systems  and , unlike
Europe, no laws about the porportion of foreign to somestic production
shown in our movie houses. Mulroney's government "tried" with limited
success  during the Freetrade and then the NAFTA talks to protect  Canadian
cultural sovereignty by limiting "Free" trade in movies and television.
spcifically by maintaining  content regulations in on-air music play and on
television's primetime. Nationalists in Canada greeted the success of
France  which won exemptions for some froms of cultural productions,
including movies and telelvision at the GATT talks with relief.

Mary Jane Miller

Mary Jane Miller,
Dept. of Film Studies, Dramatic and Visual Arts,
Brock University,
St. Catharines, Ontario,
Canada, L2S 3A1.

Phon;e (416) 688 5550 ext 3584, Fax: (416) 682 9020,
 e-mail: [log in to unmask]