SCREEN-L Archives

January 2007, Week 5

Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:38:56 -0600
In addition to our regular columnists and guest columns, FLOW is also
committed to publishing topical one-time columns. If you are interested
in submitting a column for review, please feel free to check out our
latest suggested calls at
http://jot.communication.utexas.edu/flow/cfp.php. Even if your work
does not match the specific calls, we invite short, topical pieces of
800-1000 words for review.  As with regular columns, Special Features
are expected to fall somewhere in between academic and journalistic
discourses with the aim of spurring discussion on message boards. For
submissions or questions, please contact Jean Lauer at [log in to unmask]
utexas.edu.

Current Calls:

1. Television Remakes

If you are a scholar working in this area or are otherwise interested
in contributing to the conversation, we encourage you to contact us
with queries, proposals, or potential submissions. To be considered for
publication, papers should be emailed as attachments, double-spaced, in
MLA style, with the author's name and contact information clearly
included on the attached file. For more information or to submit a
query, please contact Jean Lauer at <a href="mailto:[log in to unmask]
edu">[log in to unmask]</a>.

2. TV Audiences and “Lower” Class Shows

What can we make of the success of shows such as My Name is Earl? What
are the demographics for the audiences of this show? What is the
background of the writers of the show? How much do we think the comedy
is "laughing at" v. "laughing with"?  What's at stake for working-class
and/or poor audiences who take pleasure in the show?   How much
denigration must the poor take in order to find representation on prime-
time TV? Are there any successful shows that center on the working
class and/or poor that are not comedies?

If you are a scholar working in these areas or are otherwise
interested in contributing to the conversation, we encourage you to
contact us with queries, proposals, or potential submissions. To be
considered for publication, papers should be emailed as attachments,
double-spaced, in MLA style, with the author's name and contact
information clearly included on the attached file. For more information
or to submit a query, please contact Jean Lauer at <a href="mailto:
[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</a>.