SCREEN-L Archives

November 1995, Week 5

From:
lang thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 03:07:25 GMT
*****  The Birds is from a Du Maurier short story (she hated the film).
 Short Cuts adapts several Raymond Carver stories (and improves them
though that's not saying much).  Numerous Hollywood films from the 30s
to the 50s were based on short stories by writers hardly anybody's
heard of today (and may not have then; i just know it's hard to find
info on these people).  John Huston filmed Joyce's The Dead (how's that
for hubris?).  There's one anthology film adapting Maugham stories (the
name escapes me); there may also be one based on his spy stories.
Hellraiser and Rawhead Rex adapt Clive Barker stories.  etc
Lang Thompson

In <[log in to unmask]> Gabriela Warkentin
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I am doing some research on short stories that have been adapted to
the
>screen. I am working right now on Cortazar's Las Babas del Diablo and
>Antonioni's Blow Up as well as on Borges' Historia de la Traicion y
del
>Heroe and Bertolucci's Stratagem del Ragno. I have some other examples
on my
>list, but I would really appreciate any suggestions.
>Thanks.
>Gabriela Warkentin
>
>----
>To signoff SCREEN-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF
SCREEN-L