SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

From:
J Roberson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 1994 07:44:33 +0600
>this is
>not desnensitization, as i understand it--is there anything here that we
>haven't seen before? i don't think so--but elaboration and extrapolation.

De-sensitizing someone to violence isn't showing them something new and
horribly graphic - it's showing the same sort of violence over and over
again so often that the they begin to accept it as normal. I don't mean to
say that NBK is going to de-sensitize people any more than they already are
- just that it's not free from the "de-sensitization syndrome" just because
it isn't showing anything new.

That said, I have finally seen NBK and I liked it. It just doesn't stop. I
liked the chaos of mixed footage, styles, and everything else. I would have
to agree that at times the panoply gets tiresome, but overall I liked it a
lot.

As an aside, my eyes hurt afterwards, but I think that's because of an eye
infection, not the movie. It's so hard to tell these days. ;)

I haven't seen too many Oliver Stone movies. I saw most of JFK, and I think
I saw Platoon when I was young, but other than that I don't have a clear
"this is waht Oliver Stone does" image. Seeing NBK, I didn't find any
terribly overt or crazy half-baked mysticism, nor did I find a preachy
this-is-our-dying-culture theme. I saw a vast array of images that are left
mostly for the audience to sort out.

I don't think Stone has a mouthpiece in this film. Even when Mickey is
being interviewed, it isn't Stone talking (I hope); he sounds like most of
the real-life criminals and killers that have been interviewed to date. He
has a logic to his actions, a twisted logic by most standards. It reminded
me of Renoir's assertion that the most frightening thing in the world is
that everyone has a reason.

At any rate, I didn't find too much of what others on this list complained
about. My only concern, which was brought out by a friend who saw it,
isimilar to what others have voiced, which is that while the film may be a
technical marvel of craftsmanship, the audience is not always going to be
academic auteurs. NBK is not an answer to our social ills - but that won't
stop some people for getting motivated and trying to use it as a catalyst
for change.

Sometimes you just have to look Fate square in the eye and say: "You're
Right!"
[log in to unmask]        [log in to unmask]