SCREEN-L Archives

May 1992

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 26 May 1992 15:30:00 EST
> I don't know if this approaches Brechtian technique or not, but ...
>
> When MOONLIGHTING was in its ascendancy, one of its victims was the
> crime drama, RIPTIDE, about 3 private investigators.  RIPTIDE ran an epi-
> sode titled "If you can't beat em," in which the PIs are hired as technical
> consultants to a tv show that was an obvious parody of MOONLIGHTING.  In
> the course of the episode, the Riptide PIs take the actors from the show on
> a case, and point out the types of errors TV PIs make (like convoluted ded-
> uctions on virtually no evidence)--and after they point out each error, the
> regulars   look at each other and clips from previous RIPTIDE episodes show
> them doing the same thing.

        _Maverick_ (the original series) had at least two parody episodes.

        One involved Bart...Bret...Brent...Ben...the English one (what was
his name?)...one of them...running all over a western town looking for
something and encountering characters from other westerns and shows
like _77 Sunset Strip_. I couldn't identify all of the references since
the series all went off the air at least 20 years ago and many haven't
entered syndication heaven, but I could tell I was supposed to know from
the cameo feel of the scene...if you know what I mean...

        The other episode was an extended parody of _Bonanza_. I think
the characters were named Wheelwright...they ran the town...perhaps
it was the way Virginia City might seem to someone not predisposed to
liking the Cartwrights. They were pretty overbearing...and not terribly
bright...not to mention lethal in personal relationships...

                        Sue