SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 5

From:
Susan Denker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 1995 01:40:40 -0400
On Thu, 29 Jun 1995, Gene Stavis wrote:

> However, we do no-one a service by pretending that the experience is  the
> same or close to comparable for all purposes.

 This is a comment that evoked memories of the endless battles to justify
the film rental budget I so tenuously enjoy as it is cut slowly but
surely out from under teachers of film (not just at my institution.) I
would hope, nevertheless, that we do all fight for the medium, develop
the strongest arguments we can muster, share winning arguments with each
other, and here's the big suggestion:
 What if all of us tried to form a film lending library, bringing the
resources of all institutions we represent together to purchase copies of
films for the classroom use of institutional members.
 Is anyone interested in such a project? Could we discuss this? Would
you, Gene, be willing to spearhead this project? I would help in any way
possible. We could bring the FILM-H people in on this as well. Some of us
lurk on both lists.
 Sincerely,
 Susan Denker
 Tufts University/Museum School
 Boston

 P.S. In response to speculation on the "difference" between film and the
video/laser big-screen experience. I always feel that there isn't enough
air in the room to breathe easily when watching laser projection, no
matter how special the CAV transfer on the laser disc may be.