SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

From:
Robert Withers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 1994 18:30:34 EST
Thanks for the interesting responses so far.  My pal at my corner video
store also suggested: "The Outsiders," Over the Edge," and "The Chocolate
Wars."  And dis-recommended "American Heart."  There seems to be a distinct
genre of Teenage Problem films, with highschool settings or backdrop, dating
back at least as far as "Rebel Without a Cause" and probably farther, and
revolving around social conflicts between teens.
    There seem to be fewer films that feature the younger kids, and pre-teens,
or teens, for that matter,
facing problems that may be personal, family-related, or related to larger
social issues -- poverty, racism, etc.  Clearly some of those suggested fit in
this non-genre.