SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

From:
Shawn Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Oct 1994 10:02:18 -0700
On Sat, 22 Oct 1994, Patrick B Bjork wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, or even for the sake of argument, why did screen
> the director's cut of _Blade Runner_.

I chose the director's cut for a number of reasons:  1) to discuss with
my student's the very notion of authority in the cinema, the fact of a
director's cut is a nice starting point; 2) The copies I can show (I am
hobbled with a VHS projection system, which gives me a decent picture
about 15-feet wide, 9 or so tall) are generally in better shape if I
choose a newer release; 3) I am a bit of an unrepentant auteurist (why
else write biography, no?) and among the 'film' aspects of our Cyberpunk
Film course I like to include discussions of Kubrick, Goddard, George
Miller, Cronenberg, James Cameron and Ridley Scott -- in this light,
giving the director his due seems consistent; 4) Many of my students are
familiar with previously released versions of the film ("Video Watchdog,"
I believe, ran an article a year or so ago identifying 4-6 of them!), and
giving them a look at an 'alternative' version is very stimula

                        |"I'm a multi-faceted, talented, wealthy,
      Shawn Levy        | internationally famous genius.  I have an
  [log in to unmask]   | IQ of over 190.  People don't like that."