SCREEN-L Archives

July 1998, Week 2

From:
"Johnson,CA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 11:28:29 +0100
Being a Brit. I've felt a little left out of the AFI 100 discussion - if
I wasn't a member of this list I might not even know it existed.
However, after reading Dave Trautman state that he 'looks forward to a
BFI list ...' I thought he and others might be interested to know that
the BFI have released a list.  Not of 100 films, but 301 (if memory
serves me correctly) selected by the archivist at the BFI.  The emphasis
here is not on video sales but on conservation and the production of
film prints - which makes the list very significant.  What interested me
particularly with relation to the AFI is the emphasis.  It has been
criticised for its relative lack of emphasis on British films and its
favouring of non-commercial/'art house films.  It seems like a polar
opposite and is therefore not without its problems.

Anyone interested should look at June's Sight and Sound which included
the list in its complete form and comments and criticism from academics
and practitioners.

Cathy Johnson

PS Please excuse any inaccuracies - without the copy in front of me, all
info is from memory -  and an unreliable one at that.

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite