SCREEN-L Archives

September 2003, Week 4

Sender:
From:
Kate Douglas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:03:47 +1000
Musicals-love them or hate them, films like
Moulin Rouge!, Monsoon Wedding and Chicago have
put the musical back on the cinematic map in the
early part of this millennium. But perhaps the
genre never really went away in the first place.
In many parts of the globe, musical cinema and
musical theatre have always been, and continue
to be, the centrepiece of popular entertainment.

In our latest feature we explore the theatrical,
televisual and cinematic significance of
musicals. The selection of articles and thought
pieces that we have included in this feature
centre on and expand from the significant
developments that the musical genre has enjoyed
over recent decades.

Our new M/C Reviews feature issue "Hollywood to
Bollywood: Reviewing the Culture of Musicals" co-
edited by Emma Nelms and Kate Douglas is now
online at http://reviews.media-
culture.org.au

  --- Send the right message ---

        + Today freemail +