SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 5

From:
Rick Ferncase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 1995 16:51:28 CST
I was dismayed by Jack Nicholson's snickering introduction to the Antonioni
tribute--maybe the tone of the evening was set early on by host Letterman's
dumb pet and cabbie tricks.  Antonioni's themes of alienation and the
inadequacy of human communication have nothing to do with anything the
Academy holds in high regard.  When a weepie like Gump sweeps the awards,
it makes me wonder why any members of the Academy wanted to laud an
uncompromising artist like Antonioni at all--except for the reason that he
is old and, hence, worthy of respect.  Artists would be well advised to
eschew the honors bestowed any "academy"--it is almost always an indication
that their work has become safe and/or complacent.

-r. k. ferncase