SCREEN-L Archives

April 2015, Week 1

From:
Miriam Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2015 17:18:16 +1300
Apologies for cross-posting

I'd like to alert readers to my new book publication with Palgrave Macmillan

3D Cinema: Optical Illusions and Tactile Experiences
by Miriam Ross
Hardcover 240 pages ISBN 9781137378569
http://www.palgrave.com/page/detail/3d-cinema-miriam-ross/?K=9781137378569

When Avatar (2009) became the highest grossing movie of all time, it marked
a high point in 3D cinema's turbulent history. Although 3D cinema draws in
box-office takings that surpass 2D cinema, it continuously emerges and
disappears as a passing fad. Experiments with 3D moving-images have been
with us since the birth of cinema, and it is a form of visual expression
already seen by billions of twenty-first century viewers, yet there is
little understanding of how 3D cinema operates as an art form. We know that
it simultaneously uses depth modes to approximate our visual reality and
spectacular effects that go beyond traditional perception, but we do not
have an appropriate grasp of its creative function. This book examines 3D
cinema's unique visual regime in order to understand the optical illusions
and tactile experiences that it presents.

A table of contents and the opening pages are available here
http://www.palgrave.com/resources/sample-chapters/9781137378569_sample.pdf

'Covering the optical and illusory quality of 3D from its Victorian
beginnings to its new digital dominance, Ross presents a new critical
perspective on 3D that should be required reading for anyone in the field.'
- Keith M. Johnston, University of East Anglia, UK

'With 3D Cinema Miriam Ross has finally written the book I've been waiting
for someone to write for years! This is a masterfully written, thoughtful
and thoroughly researched book that provides a rich account of shifts in
perception and visuality. Rather than understanding 3D as a phenomenon
specific to our digital times, Ross considers its connection to the complex
media history of stereoscopic illusions that goes back 200 years. This book
is a must read for any serious film and screen scholar!' - Angela
Ndalianis, University of Melbourne, Australia

'Ross's trenchant book provides what the digital 3D era has long needed:
neither hyperbolic justification nor predictable praise for stereoscopic
cinema's few acknowledged masterpieces, but a sophisticated contribution to
cinema aesthetics, in which 3D emerges as a third regime of screen
entertainment, and one closely linked to contemporary fascination with
bodily experience.' - Ian Christie, Birkbeck College, University of London,
UK

If you would like a copy for journal reviews please contact

--
http://vuw.academia.edu/MiriamRoss

https://listserv.ua.edu/archives/screen-l.html