SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 22 Oct 1994 23:45:02 +0100
Jason Clabaugh wrote:

     As a future librarian, I am dead set against censorship of any variety.

As another future librarian, I am interested in why you disagree with censorship
of any variety. Librarians have to contend with censorship of many forms every
day, sometimes imposed on them by outside authorities, sometimes they have to
impose it themselves. For example, when choosing one item for a library over
another, you are exercising a form of censorship.
This is not a flame, but censorship and librarians is an extremely interesting
topic for me personally. I do believe that censorship is necessary; what I
believe to be unnecessary is irrational censorship, censorship for censorship's
sake. For example, I would not consider letting my four year old nephew watch
a horror movie because a)the certificate it probably carries denotes that it is
unsuitable for someone of his age and b) it would terrify him unnecessarily.
This is common sense as a form of censorship. Do you disagree with this form of
censorship as well as more formal kinds such as the certification of films and
videos?
The reason that I have posted this and not sent a personal e-mail message is
that I am interested in other people's reactions to censorship, and what they
believe the role of information managers, such as librarians, to be in a
society where censorship is such an important issue.

Chloe M. Evan-Hughes.