SCREEN-L Archives

November 1997, Week 3

From:
Kendall D'Andrade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 03:54:33 -0500
Who fights in Heinlein's books?  I think Paul Clinco is mostly right in
his claim that Heinlein thinks that males should fight while females fuck,
but at least two of his books focus on FEMALE fighters.  On is about a
teenager, something like _Podukyne of Mars_.  For the other I don't even
have an approximate title but the hero is female operative of some future
CIA-type organization.  True, she fucks a lot, but she also fights,
survives some pretty grim torture, etc.  Whatever is wrong with Heinlein's
politics, it's not that only men fight.  As to being a militrist, he not
only admitted it, he was proud of it.  An approximate quote: "Why else
would I have remained a reserve naval officer?"  In his book, officer
candidates have to take what is in effect a civics course.  Our hero's
teacher is blind.  In one class session he ignores claims for the
superiority of "our" system based on morality or political philosophy
(which were invoked in the rule that only those with military experience
could vote), saying simply that "It works."  The scene read to me (MANY
years ago) as Heinlein's presentation of his own thought.  If that's true
then he's a lot less self-righteous than contemporary rightists.

Kendall D'Andrade               [log in to unmask]

University of Alabama.