SCREEN-L Archives

January 1995, Week 2

Sender:
From:
Susan Denker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 1995 13:50:53 CST

> JEREMY BUTLER WROTE:
> >...  instances of sound/image discontinuity raise the issue of the
> >discursive impact of television sound as compared to that of its image.
> >
> >Can anyone contribute other instances of such sound/image discontinuity
> >being used to support an ideological agenda?

 Not an example of lip sync ideology on television, but in film, I offer
the example of black singers used to give white stars a *voice*, so
beautifully documented in Julie Dash's film Illusions. This was
apparently common practice, particularly when the white star was supposed
to be singing a sexy song. Lauren Bacall discusses this in an interview I
can't lay my hands on.

 Susan Denker