SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

From:
Joseph Chuk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joseph Chuk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 1994 12:41:03 -0400
On Sun, 10 Apr 1994, Jeremy Butler wrote:

> The only difference is that the messages sent out to SCREEN-L subscribers
> would simultaneously be presented in a Usenet newsgroup.
>
> Thus, you would have the option of (1) receiving each SCREEN-L message
> via e-mail (as the system works right now) or (2) browsing through SCREEN-L
> messages (and optionally posting replies) on Usenet.

Jeremy,

Would that mean that someone could post a response ONLY on the Usenet
newsgroup to a posting of mine on SCREEN-L (which made its way to the
newsgroup at the same time) and, if I didn't check the newsgroup, I would
be unaware of the response, question, etc? Somehow I don't like the idea
of someone writing things to/about me/my thoughts without my knowing
about it (unless I check out the newsgroup, which I don't feel inclined
to do). I could also be seen as in insensitive snob if, in fact, someone
asked me something in the forum of the newsgroup and I, being unaware of
the query, did not respond.

Assuming my concerns are justified, make that a "no" vote to the gateway.

Joe

 JOSEPH R. CHUK            |    Office Phone    (610) 683-4491
 Associate Professor       |    Office Fax      (610) 683-4659
 Telecommunications Dept.  |
 Kutztown University       |    Internet        [log in to unmask]
 P.O. Box 730              |    CompuServe      76360,2476
 Kutztown, PA 19530-0730   |    Packet          [log in to unmask]