SCREEN-L Archives

October 1999, Week 4

Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 13:18:43 EDT
Interestingly enough, we just picked up in the past year or so three of my
favorites on the subject of Resistance -- "The Sorrow and the Pity" by Marcel
Ophuls, "It Happened Here" by Kevin Brownlow and Andrew Mollo about an
alternate history where Germany has defeated England, and "Pastor Hall" by
the Boulting Brothers (a 1940 film based on the experiences of Martin
Niemoller). They all show the gray areas between resistance, apathy and
collaboration.

Then there's "Shoah" of course and a personal favorite, "Weapons of the
Spirit" (this small town in France called Chambon I believe, who protected
the Jews just because five hundred or so years ago they had faced
persecution, was just in the New York Times again yesterday) both about being
under the Nazi regime.

Then of course, there are many good documentaries about the Hollywood Ten
and/or the McCarthy hearings ("Point of Order" being the best on the latter)
and for civil rights, my favorite is Eyes on the Prize.

And there must be a few good labor documentaries, but unfortunately Amy is
not here to remind me of them.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite