SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 4

From:
paul watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 22:12:49 +1200
From: "Jesse Kalin" <[log in to unmask]>

> The original radio broadcast itself is available through various
> "nostalgia" and "old radio" sources, if that would be of help.

Syncronicity works. I happened to be going through a score of
boxes of books I've had in storage and came across Howard
Koch's (he wrote the radio play) book THE PANIC BROADCAST
(Avon Books - LOC 73-121433) 1970) It includes the complete
script and newspaper articles about the crazy event. One of the stories
in there had a real estate agent polishing off a bottle of whiskey while
listening to the play and thinking it might be a good idea if he woke up
his dog and locked him up in a safe place before the Martians got him.
Unfortunately the half asleep dog reverted back to some primordial
call of nature and took hold of his master's arm in a grip of death.
His master saw this as a greater threat than the approaching Martian
army and swung the dog around his head until both sleeve and canine
friend went into a new orbit. Minus a shirt sleeve, a few pints of blood
and a dog the real estate agent made haste to his brother's place, woke
him up and dragged him out to his car. His brother had trouble taking
all this in as much as the dog did as his brother ranted about invaders
from Mars and sharp teeth as they sped along roads at inconceivable
speeds. The car radio had been playing but it took some time for
the message the play was just that and not news at 11 to sink into the
bewildered brother's mind. History doesn't record how he expressed
his fondness for his brother after that.

paul :-)Nz